Who is eligible to apply?
- be at least 15 years old and not more than 18 years old at the time of the exchange (summer 2017)
- have at least one more semester of high school following the program (a graduation year of 2018 or later)
- have permission from either a parent or legal guardian to participate in the three-week program to Peru
- hold US Citizenship
What is the criteria for selection?
- a demonstrated interest in and commitment to volunteer and civic activities
- ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and tolerate the opinions of others
- leadership potential
- good social and communication skills
- an energetic, positive attitude
- commitment to implementing community project following exchange.
- Applicants must submit an online application, personal reference form, parent/ guardian consent agreement, and a photo of themselves by February 13th, 2017.
- All complete applications will be reviewed by our selection committee. By the end of February, all applicants will receive an email notification informing them whether or not they have been invited to the interview stage of the application process.
- Applicants selected for an interview will be invited to schedule interviews in March. Following the interviews, 12 youth and 2 adult finalists will be selected and notified. Alternates for both youth participants and adult mentors will also be chosen.
- All applicants who attended the interviews will be notified, whether or not they have been selected as finalists by March 25th, 2017.
Please fill out the application as completely as possible. The information you provide on this application will provide the basis for selecting participants for this program. Answer the questions carefully and completely.
Once you begin the online application you will not be allowed to save it or return to it. We strongly recommend that you gather all necessary information and compose your essays before you begin the online application. The essay questions are listed below.
Please note the additional required documents that must be submitted with your application below.
You must complete all 5 essays. There is no word limit on these essays, we suggest each short essay be about 1-2 paragraphs and each long essay should be about 1 page.
Short Essay Question #1: Why do you want to participate in this program? What will you contribute to the group and to the experience of you are chosen?
Short Essay Question #2: What do you hope to learn during this program?
Long Essay Question #1: Identify a specific environmental or social issue affecting your neighborhood or community. What might you do to resolve this issue?
Long Essay Question #2: What makes a good leader? Using two examples, describe how you have shown leadership in your school, community, or home.
Long Essay Question #3: Please write a letter introducing yourself to your potential host family.
Additional Application Materials
- Personal Reference Form from a teacher or other adult outside your family who knows you well. Ask the person to serve as a reference for you and complete the online form. Alternatively, you can print this form and have them complete and return it to Amizade via email (YAPSA@amizade.org) or mail (305 34th Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15201) by February 13th, 2017.
- Parent/ Guardian Consent Agreement returned to Amizade via email (YAPSA@amizade.org) or mail (305 34th Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15201) by February 13th, 2017.
- Photo of Yourself. Please send a recent photo of yourself to Amizade via email (YAPSA@amizade.org) or mail (305 34th Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15201) by February 13th, 2017.