Amizade’s Multilateral Partnership for Interprofessional Education (MPIE)
In 1994, Amizade was founded in Santarém, Brazil. In 2013, Amizade launched MPIE, in collaboration with West Virginia University, in the very location it all began. We’ve been running these programs every year since then, only taking a hiatus in 2020-2022 due to COVID-19. We are very excited for this program’s re-launch in summer 2023! Below is a list of program dates, eligibility, and features:
Program Dates: March 27 – April 23, 2023
Eligibility: Graduate students in Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing, Public Health, Allied Health Programs
- Fully supervised rotation (approximately 80 contact hours); no direct care.
- Full-time accompaniment by bilingual Amizade staff during supervised clinical rotation
- Foreign Language instruction for basic language acquisition (Five 1 hour sessions)
- Regular critical reflection on Global Citizenship in the context of the health professions
- Orientation to the local culture, healthcare, and environment.
- Additional cultural and recreation activities such as
Program fees are $4,307*
Program Fee does not cover fights to and from Brazil (estimated at $1,700), immunizations, travel insurance, and departure tax.*
Program Fee does cover room and board as well as all meals.
The Group Program Number for the application is WVU_MPIE_03272023