About Amizade’s Water Work:
Because of the generous support our grant partner, the AllPeopleBeHappy Foundation, and Water Walkers like you, last year alone we were able to achieve the following:
- Bring clean water to over 300 schoolchildren in the area of rural Karagwe,Tanzania;
- Install a massive 300,000 liter water-harvesting system, including gutters, underground piping, and a solar-powered pump for a new school in the small village of Chonyoyo, read more here;
- Complete full evaluations on the water-harvesting systems that Amizade already helped to install for 8 families that have survived gender-based human rights abuses;
- Install 5 other rain-water harvesting tanks for families in the region;
- Construct and connect a vital fruit-tree nursery to the Chonyoyo water tank that will provide local families with healthy food;
- Lead workshops on the benefits of Solar Water Disinfection (SODIS) – a method to produce suitable drinking water utilizing solar rays from the sun – to several groups of community members;
- Hold two very successful “Water Walks”, which have had a combined total of over 600 participants, received local print and television press, and raised over $8,000 for clean-water initiatives; and
- Install ‘tip-tap’ hand washing devices (a mechanism designed to encourage hand-washing while conserving water) at recipients’ homes using simple, local materials, assembling the contraptions on-site by way of demonstrating a simple technology that families can share with their neighbors in order to increase awareness about the importance of hygiene and sanitation.
Explore the news stories, videos and photos below to learn more about this great event!
News From Past Water Walks
Residents Take Part in Amizade’s Water Walk | April 2010 | State Journal
Pittsburgh volunteers take a walk for clean water in Africa | March 23 2009 | Pittsburgh Trib-Review
“Water Walk for Women’s Rights” Sunday | March 20 2009 | Duquesne News