An individual Amizade volunteer placement connects you with a grassroots community organization for between two weeks and six months.
Sample individual placements have included:
- Teaching ESL in a school in Brazil
- Mentoring at-risk youth in Jamaica
- Working with youth with disabilities in Bolivia
- Interning for a community development organization in Ghana
On your individual volunteer experience, you’ll:
- Make a Difference through community-driven service
- Enhance and deepen your understanding of the local environment through deliberate learning that is based on community members’ concerns and perspectives
- Form friendships through intercultural immersion and exchange
- Become a more ethical, more engaged, more employable global citizen
- Develop your own personal understanding of service, deliberate learning, culture, and global citizenship through continuous reflective inquiry
It will be unlike any previous volunteer experience you’ve had. Amizade’s specially designed journal and carefully chosen local site directors cooperate to support you in a challenging and empowering service and learning experience.
Amizade has worked for nearly 17 years connecting groups and communities around the world for mutually empowering service and learning experiences. Programs include food and lodging, local educational, cultural and recreational activities, local transportation*, and a local site director.
*Programs in the Navajo Nation do not include local transportation.